The most common method is by special law. Concerned property owners ask their state representative or state senator to sponsor a bill in the legislature for its creation. Less frequently used is the general law method provided in Chapter 375 of the Texas Local Government Code which empowers property owners to petition the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality for creation of the district.